How to Install an Automatic Transmission Speed Sensor In a 1999 Dodge 1500
- 1). Raise the front of the 1500 with a floor jack, and set jack stands under the vehicle’s frame rails. Lower the vehicle onto the jack stands.
- 2). Crawl beneath the Dodge until you reach the transmission output-shaft housing — the tapered housing on the rear of the transmission. Look to the driver’s side of the output-shaft housing and find the electrical component connected to it — this is the vehicle speed sensor.
- 3). Position a drain pan under the vehicle speed sensor to catch any fluid that may leak.
- 4). Pull the locking tab on the sensor’s wiring harness, and unplug the harness from the sensor.
- 5). Remove the bolt securing the output-shaft sensor to its adaptor — do not remove the bolt securing the adaptor to the transmission — and pull the vehicle speed sensor from the adaptor.
- 1). Apply a thin coat of new ATF Plus 3 transmission fluid to the O-ring on the vehicle speed sensor.
- 2). Insert the vehicle speed sensor into the adaptor. Hand-tighten the sensor’s screw. Tighten the screw to 20 foot-pounds with a torque wrench and socket.
- 3). Reconnect the wiring harness to the receptacle on the vehicle speed sensor.
- 4). Raise the 1500 off the jack stands with a floor jack and remove the jack stands. Lower the vehicle to the ground.
- 5). Start the vehicle and allow it to idle until it is warm (the temperature gauge reads about halfway).
- 6). Hold the brake pedal and shift the gear shifter through each gear. Place the gear shifter back into its “Park” position.
- 7). Remove the transmission level dipstick from the engine compartment and wipe the oil off it with a clean, lint-free cloth. Reinsert the dipstick and pull it out again. Check that the level is within the “Full” range on the dipstick.
- 8). Insert a long-neck funnel into the dipstick tube and add ATF Plus 3 transmission fluid as needed.
- 9). Take the old transmission fluid to a used-automotive-fluid recycling center. Some auto parts stores take this fluid free of charge.