How to Prevent Breakdowns on the Road
Preventing breakdowns on the road requires common sense approaches to auto maintenance. Many breakdowns are not related to the fact today's car engines are more complex or involve sophisticated components. Cars still break down today because fluids are allowed to reach low levels or simple repairs are not taken care of in a timely manner. In other words, many breakdowns are simply the end result of failing to properly maintain the most basic functions.
The Psychic Mobile Mechanic
The mobile mechanic may seem a bit psychic, because he or she can look into the future and know events most likely to take place without engine, component, and system routine maintenance. Preventing breakdowns begins with completing routine tasks.
* Keep all fluids at proper levels including oil, transmission, and brake fluids
* Check belts, such as serpentine and fan belts, and hoses, such as radiator hoses, for signs of cracking or fraying
* Check the tires for proper inflation
* Check the brakes for signs of wear such as worn pads
* Check the battery terminals for corrosion
* Verify air conditioning system is operating properly
* Keep filters cleaned and free of blockages
* Check shocks
These are the routine tasks though in the newest vehicles even many of the most routine tasks require specialised equipment and tools. Even if you decide to do as many of these systems, fluid, and filter checks yourself, the odds are an auto mechanic will need to actually do the maintenance work unless you have an equipped auto workshop at home.
Changing the Future
The mobile mechanic drives a fully equipped van which contains everything needed to do routine maintenance and diagnostic testing. The general diagnostic testing should be completed periodically to uncover developing mechanical or component problems which could lead to a breakdown.
* Change oil
* Replace fluids
* Inflate tires
* Complete diagnostic testing of transmission, electrical system, engine, fuel injection system, and air conditioner
* Test battery charge
* Flush and refill cooling system with specified coolant
* Replace worn belts and hoses
* Replace air and fuel filters
* Treat fuel system to clean components such as intake valves and combustion chamber
* Install new shocks
If the diagnostic testing produces fault codes, the mobile mechanic can perform necessary repairs before the car breaks down. It is so much better to stop a problem which can lead to an inoperable auto. Everyone knows that cars break down at the most inopportune times and in the worst locations. It is just one of life's many mysteries.
Regular inspection and maintenance of your auto will keep it running smoothly and increase its reliability. Just as important is the fact regular engine and auto system maintenance will extend the life of your vehicle. This is important when you consider new autos are becoming more and more expensive.
The mobile car mechanic may not be psychic, but it sure seems that way when he or she can change the future by taking care of the present.